HNSA Crest with photos of visitors at the ships.

USS EDSON (DD-946)

Photo of Edson underway.
USS Edson operating off Pearl Harbor, December 1974

Class: Forrest Sherman Destroyer
Launched: January 4, 1958
At: Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine
Commissioned: November 7, 1958

Length: 418 feet
Beam: 45 feet
Draft: 22 feet
Displacement: 3,990 tons
Max Speed: 32.5
Crew: 17 Officers, 218 Enlisted
Armament: Three 5-inch/54 caliber guns; four 3-inch/50 caliber guns, two hedgehog throw ahead depth charge launchers, six 12-3/4" Mark 32 torpedo tube.

Mailing Address:
Saginaw Valley Naval Ship Museum
3727 East Wilder Road, Suite B
Bay City, MI 48706
1-989-684-3946
Fax: 1-989-684-3947
http://www.ussedson.org

Temporary Address to Visit (Planning to move in Nov 2012 to Bay City):
1008 Scheurmann St.
Essexville, MI 48732
Latitude: 43.6153683283, Longitude: -83.8477079314
Google Maps, Microsoft Bing, Yahoo Maps, Mapquest

USS Edson was the last of the 18 Forrest Shermans to be retired. As the first post WW II destroyer design, the Sherman class reflected the combat lessons learned during that conflict as well as in Korea.

Initially assigned to the Pacific Fleet, Edson participated in numerous combat missions off Vietnam. She received three Navy Unit Commendations for this service. She received Meritorious Unit Commendations for her participation in the evacuations of Phnom Penh, Cambodia, and Saigon, Vietnam. Later she was transferred to the Atlantic where she served as flagship of Surface Group Four in Newport.

Decommissioned in December 1988, she was quickly transferred to the Intrepid Museum. She was returned to the Navy in 2004, and was donated to Saginaw Valley Naval Ship Museum in 2012.

USS Edson is a National Historic Landmark.

USS Edson.

Return to the HNSA Guide.

 

Copyright © 2012, Historic Naval Ships Association.
All Rights Reserved.
Legal Notices and Privacy Policy
Version 3.00